- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here)

Friday, August 27, 2010

Went for my first visit with T.H.E Seniors volunteers! :) It was my first time volunteering with the elderly, so I really didn't know what to expect. The elderly whom we visited live in one-room flats, some living alone. I learnt that just being there for these elderly and interacting with them made a whole lot of difference to their lives.

Initially, I thought that it would be difficult to start a conversation with them due to our big generation gap. However, I realised that they talk about almost anything under the sun, from their favourite pasttimes to modern TV shows. Mr Tan, one of the elderly we visited, was able to talk to us about a lot of current news which really amazed me! It was a joy listening to their experiences as well, such as the activities they took part in. The warm greetings received when we visited them, and seeing the cheerful look on their faces as they recounted their experiences touched me. Deespite the fact that some of the elderly experience loneliness, they never took it in their stride and instead spread warmth and cheer to those around them. This was a valuable learning point that I took home with me that day :)

These elderly are lonely and sometimes all they really need to be happy is to have someone to listen to their happy experiences as well as their woes. I'm glad I was part of T.H.E Seniors last week spending time with the elderly. It was a fruitful experience and worth the few hours off the afternoon. I wished I could have interacted more with them, and help them out in other areas as well, such as helping them with some chores as they are frail and need our assistance in these areas.

Also, thank you T.H.E Seniors volunteers for making that day a fun and enriching experience for us who went for the first time! :)

Charmaine :))

No comments:

Post a Comment