- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): Orientation Visit on 21 August 2010

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Orientation Visit on 21 August 2010

Today was my first home visit with T.H.E. Seniors. :)

Although I’ve worked with the elderly in the past, I still felt nervous (but excited) about it. Our seniors brought us to different houses where we helped the elderly clean their homes and chatted with them. I was unsure of what I had to do initially but as we progressed to the other houses, I got the hang of how things worked. Perhaps as it was my first time meeting the old folks, I found it hard to start a conversation with them. Luckily for their friendly disposition, they started the ball rolling and the atmosphere was less awkward. But I’m sure that after subsequent visits, we’ll get to know each other better and enjoy each other’s company.

After listening to some of the life stories of the elderly, I realised that some of them are more fortunate than others, in the sense that some had family members to rely on. Although they lived apart, I am comforted that at least their family members do visit them (though not frequent) and not leave them in the lurch. The elderly always tell us that at their age, they need to let go and take things easy. However I could feel that they were just putting on a brave front and actually trying to comfort themselves. This made me want to continue being there with them to give them a listening ear and set their minds aside from the troubles they may have.

It’s been a meaningful day for me and I’m looking forward to future visits! :)

Yinmin

No comments:

Post a Comment