- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): A Well-Spent Day

Sunday, September 08, 2013

A Well-Spent Day

Yestersday, it was my first time visiting Mr Ong and Mdm Cheng.

My group first went to Mr Ong’s house and offered to do housework for him but he rejected as his house was rather clean and tidy so instead we sat down to watch TV together and chatted with him at the same time. He shared with us his outing experience at the zoo and also recommended us the food, “Han Nan Curry Rice” he had eaten before at the nearby hawker centre, which I tried it for lunch and I think it is quite nice and cheap. Generally, Mr Ong was in pretty good health but he looked relatively tired as he couldn’t sleep well at night and kept waking up for several times during his sleep. He also told us that he his left arm was a bit painful and he couldn’t see clearly with his right eye and discomfort in his right eye as his eye get dry easily so he need to apply eye-drops frequently. I felt sad upon hearing this and I really hope that Mr Ong’s eye will get better the next time I see him.
After that, we went on to visit Mdm Cheng who was wheelchair bound. Upon arrival at her house, she was very welcoming and thrilled to see us. She was also in a good spirits and eagerly told us some of her outings she had been to in the past such as her Sentosa trip and her experience on the Singapore Flyer. She said that she enjoyed going to such outings and look forward to her next trip probably to Garden by the Bay next week.  Mdm Cheng also taught us some Cantonese words and in return we taught her English and me and the other volunteers had fun learning Cantonese. We had a pleasant time talking and interacting with Mdm Cheng as she was very friendly and easy to communicate with.
It was great that I spent my morning with Mr Ong and Mdm Cheng. Our short visit meant a lot to the elderly and it made them happy that people came to talk with them. This was indeed a meaningful and well-spent day as I not only get to meet new friends but also the opportunities to interact with different elderly and I look forward to seeing them in future visits.
Lay Hong

No comments:

Post a Comment