- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): What is volunteering to me?

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

What is volunteering to me?

Last Saturday, it was a fulfilling visit for me. Partially manage to sabo people in my group and its my first time really making a elderly smile!! 



As you all know my Teochew and Hokkien is always not fluent due to the limited vocabulary I have. It is the first time for me to make an elderly smile till no time for her to frown. Do you know which elderly i managed to make her smile for the whole visit? Drumroll.....MDM TAN!! The story goes like this:

I have visited her 3 weeks ago, so out of curiosity i want to know if she still recognizes me. I started off by a joke when entering, and she laughed at my joke. She said something like "we should crack jokes and laugh to pass the day", that is somehow the direct translation, the meaning is something like we should have some jokes in our daily life to brighten our day. This is something i totally agree! Next, up I ask her is she remembers me. In the previous visit, I intro myself as the "pa ka zhua" or the one who kill cockroach, she barely recalled. This time due to last visit, click here to know more about last visit, I intro myself as the one who sings, and she remembered!! BINGO! the feeling is like winning some lottery. Then I move on to intro my name, trying my luck again, i use my usual way to introduce my name and i hope she can remember. I still test out in my following visit!! 

Opps, I forgot to intro my group, at this point of time my group consist of Pin Jin, Kai Sheng and me. Lets move on.

I believe before our visit she was doing some laundry as we see a pail of washed clothes. We ask if we can help her with that, she said she will do it by herself. She also show us how she manage to hang and keep her clothes that are on the bamboo sticks hanging high up. I was impressed, because I tried doing it at home with eyes close but always cannot find the bamboo! After that we move on to cleaning time!
In this visit, I was the befriender role. The usual way is to discuss about some general topics and ask about their conditions, but since I have learnt about her stories, I decided to do it in a different manner. I act like some boss and instruct KaiSheng to mop the floor, saying that it for him to learn and practice how to be a good husband and... he did! Sorry to say that, but it is my first time saw kaisheng mopping the floor :P. Good Boy!! Haha I joke about KaiSheng getting married soon and he needs to practice, and Mdm Tan was so happy and she laughed. I believe that this is one way of entertaining them and keep them away from all their worries.
Some other drama happen here but cannot remember the details, as I was mopping the floor to make it dry. I cannot multitask so I did say something but cannot recall. Haha next up we set down to talk about Huang Wen Yong and also on the topic on "singing". Apparently she likes it quite well, especially when we sing some familiar songs for her. 

Last visit, we sang 天黑黑 the original one with her and this week we had 两只老虎. If you don't know what is 两只老虎 you can play the video below (MUST PLAY).


I believe that we can find some interesting ways to engage the elderly so that we can bring happiness to everyone! :) 

Next up, we went to visit Mdm Ho. On the way, Camy joined in. At Mdm Ho's house, as usual we did the sweeping and mopping. After which start to gossip... I say she is so nosy, then she say that i am a "Ba gua (nosy) king" (LOL where got!!) After the gossip, we though of visiting some other elderly so we bid good bye to Mdm Ho.

Kai Sheng Exercising!
We tried to visit Mr Ong, but he was not at home. We when to search at the hawker centre but failed. then we when to find 3 more elderly but apparently all not at home. :(

So we gathered back for debrief and went for lunch. During our lunch, we met Mr Ong! When we went to find him we cannot find, but when we gave up, he appeared in front of us! LOL. He appears to be very happy drinking pineapple drink with his friend. It is so glad to see that he is gaining back his self-esteem! :) 

That sums up the day as we have our lunch!

Ok back to the title, "What is volunteering to me?" Simple, it means "N TRUE LOVE". Find out why yourselves.

Volunteering creates bond between people. Different generation  THE shirt!

Signing Off,
WY


No comments:

Post a Comment