- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): Promises

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Promises

25th May 2013

It's been awhile since my last blog, so here goes. Today me, Li Jia, Hui Jia and Candy went to visit Madam Khatijiah. It's my second visit to her place. The impression she gave me is that of a very amiable granny. She has a good sense of humour and she isn't shy about seeing new faces. Therefore, going to her place you'll most likely feel welcomed. Also, Madam Khatijah is a really strong lady. Despite her medical conditions, she takes good care of herself and especially, her apartment. Her place is very neat and tidy, further, everywhere seems spotlessly clean. We offered to help her with the chores but she politely turned us down. Saying, "If I'm strong enough to do it myself, I will do it." This shows how independent she is. (Well, the other reason why she doesn't let us help her is because she's very particular with the cleaning and our cleaning might not be up to her standards. Sshh...)

However, the thing I really want to share is not the above. Rather, it's something I (re-)learn from Madam Khatijah after listening to her long stories. Madam Khatijah is someone who is very "strict" with promises. She cannot stand people going back on their words (if you're interested to find out her encounters with such people, join us for a visit :]). She is someone who "talks the talk and walks the walk", so she remembers what others said and she 'tracks' to see if they do what they say. Such persistence may intimate some, but personally I admire her emphasis on promises. It's like the Chinese saying, "君子一言,驷马难追" (a true gentleman will keep his promises). I believe all cultures and religion value credibility and trustworthiness, although we may come from different backgrounds, many virtues are common to all.

Reflecting on her words, I thought about the promises I made to my family, friends and most importantly, myself. Sometimes because of studies and some matters I forgot about those promises, be it big or small, and so I did not fulfill them. Now that I think back, "studies" and " some matters" were simply excuses. If I have the heart to fulfill them, those promises are definitely doable. But, I wasn't as "strict" with myself and I  took the easy way out. After visiting Madam Khatijah, I was reminded of how important our words can be. Saying is always easy, everyone can say, it is doing what we say we will do that is the toughest. If we are not confident of accomplishing what we say, well, just don't say it. If you said it, just do it!

I remember a motivational speaker (who was invited to 'preach' us during my secondary school time) once  said, "We are what think we are". I think he forgot to mention, "more importantly, we are what we do" because thinking and saying are meaningless when they're not acted upon. Actions define us, not words nor mere thoughts.

Chun Hai

No comments:

Post a Comment