- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): Disconnect to Connect With Your Loved Ones

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Disconnect to Connect With Your Loved Ones

After a couple of weeks spent preparing for the finals, it was yet another comforting Saturday morning where the volunteers arrived at Touch for our official visit! First of all, it is always great to see both old and new faces; not to mention that our volunteer count of the day hit around 30!

My group today consists of Jennifer, Clement and I, where we visited Mdm Tan who greeted us with her ever-endearing smile. We then proceed on to help her with the usual cleaning and maintenance of her place. After which, we chatted with her through the visit. Along the way, she identified me as "Ah Nek", not sure if it is "really me, but I just assume the role. Haha. Every time when I visit her, I will ask her if she remembers me. She will then refer me as "Ah Nek". On the other hand, I will just remind her that I was one of the volunteers who made tangyuan for her during one of our mission for dongzhi (refer to ah le's post: http://touchseniors.blogspot.sg/2012/12/blog-post_23.html).

Speaking of which, we mentioned that time passes very fast and we will be celebrating dumpling festival soon! Nonetheless, one thing that struck my mind was Mother's Day (though I did not verbally mention it), when Mdm Tan said that some elderly nowadays have vast linguistics skills as they communicates with their grandchildren. This is definitely a reminder for everyone when we are all so busy with our school and work.... in the sense that no matter how busy we are... there is also some time for us to connect with our loved one. Recently, I saw a quote on Facebook saying: Disconnect to Connect with your loved ones. This is indeed very true in our Wi-Fi and 3G (or 4G) connected world where everyone communicates via technology. However, it is those offline moments where we spent with the elderly that we realized that the best form of communication is none other than face-to-face.

As this AY comes to an end, I am really grateful to have met so many awesome volunteers and elderly in the process. But before that, we will be having our Major Outing II on the 31st May (advert time)!! and some other mini celebrations like dumpling festival and National Day. All in all, this journey has been like a Love Voyage for me, and I look forward to more fond memories created in time to come:)


Cheers
Kok Seng



No comments:

Post a Comment