- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): A big bag of medicine

Sunday, November 11, 2012

A big bag of medicine

Today we visited a new senior, Mr O.
Upon reaching his house, we learnt that he just had a fall.

Due to possibilities of implications from the fall, Mr O was persuaded to go for a medical checkup.
But! He has just been back from a period of hospitalisation.
He was unwilling. In the end, the negotiation was that if he could stand up, he would be able to refuse checkup.

For a few seconds which felt like an hour, four of us stood there to watch as Mr O tried his best to stand up. Pardon me for my drawing, but this was the exact scene which I think I will never forget.
It was painful to watch. As I fixed my eyes on Mr O, I was secretly wishing I could give him all my strength. In the end, he really had to be sent for checkup on an ambulance.


Filled with thoughts & emotions.

Firstly, I must say Mr O is already quite fortunate to have a friend who was with him, and a few neighbours who popped by to ask if he was okay. I felt the kampong spirit; the warmth in the neighbourhood 

I saw a big bag of medicine on the table. Usually for a flu, we'll get a small variety of medicine which we've to take abiding by the timing. I remember I felt so sian having to consume medicine every now and then. Imagine that big bag of medicine.

When we were watching him try his best to stand up, I could feel his 100% unwillingness to be back in the hospital. He wanted to show that he is able to take care of himself. If I were in his shoes, I would be doing the same thing. I want to be in a place I am comfortable with, instead of lying on a hospital bed even if it means I would have sufficient people taking care of my needs. But besides pain, I felt encouragement when I saw how hard Mr O was trying. That's his strengths. He didn't want to give up.
And that deeply touched my heart.

While I sincerely wish that Mr O could be discharged soon,
I would also like to reemphasise today's lesson-of-the-post:
We shall be strong in our mind no matter what situation we are facing ;)

Lots of loves,
your fellow volunteer Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment