- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): Orientation Visit 1

Friday, September 07, 2012

Orientation Visit 1

Hello, my name’s shurui and I’m a new volunteer with T.H.E.S! My group, consisting of Jocelyn, Chaur Ann, Jia Qi, Yingshuen and myself, visited Mdm Tan on 1st Sept. Upon entering, Mdm Tan greeted us cheerfully yet a tinge of sadness lingered on in the atmosphere, a result of her encounter that morning where she was reminded of her partial loss of sight. She felt she was accused of being greedy as she didn’t realize that her meal had already been passed to her and hence, was waiting for it.

Mdm Tan’s flat was exceptionally clean and not the least bit cluttered with unwanted items as I would have imagined - a common issue with some elderly. However, she complained of her floor being sticky and thus Jia Qi and I helped to sweep and mop the floor. In addition, Chaur Ann and Yingshuen wiped the windows while Jocelyn chatted with Mdm Tan. Upon finishing with the cleaning, we joined in the conversation too. We chatted with her on a range of topics, including keeping a pet as a companion which evoked a huge reaction from her.

At times, I found her quite adorable when she giggled, folded her arms across her chest, leaned back against her chair and maybe, pouted slightly. This genuine childlike laughter warmed my heart and truly made the mere 3hrs at her place memorable. I was also quite fascinated to seeing an elderly being shy (She doesn’t hang her clothes to dry when volunteers are around!!). It showed me that there isn’t much difference between the elderly and us. They, too, have their moments of joy and discouragement.

During the interaction with Mdm Tan, I felt quite handicapped as I wasn’t able to understand and contribute much to the conversation although I could roughly decipher the topics touched on.  But what is this compared to the difficulties that these elderly are faced with? Lastly, as much as we are volunteering to help the elderly with household chores and keeping them company, they are also offering us an invaluable experience of a lifetime. I’ll definitely be going down again the next visit! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment