- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here)

Friday, September 07, 2012


Hi I’m Cherie and it is my first time volunteering with T.H.E seniors. My group went to visit Mr Tay on 1st September. I really did not know what to expect but just followed along with my group’s seniors. When Mr Tay opened the door, we were greeted warmly and he invited us into his house. He was really so friendly and kept asking if we had eaten already.

One thing really different about Mr Tay is that he enjoys going down to the coffee shop to drink coffee with butter added in it! I was pleasantly surprised as it was my first time seeing butter being added to coffee. I could not help but smile when I saw Mr Tay took the first sip of his coffee and smiled so happily. It then occurred to me how the simplest things can make a person so happy and satisfied.

We chatted with him and he told us many interesting stories. Although I could not speak nor fully understand Hokkien, I was roughly able to get his stories with the help of group members who understood. He told us what he did during his younger days and how he really enjoyed his freedom. Also, Mr Tay shared with us where he used to work and coincidentally, he was friends with one of my group members’ grandfather. There were moments when he was not all cheery and the group had to encourage him. Later on, another group joined our group to listen to Mr Tay’s stories. When he heard that many people were listening to him, he was elated.

At the end of the visit, he thanked us many times for spending time talking to him. I felt that the entire experience was very meaningful. It showed me how the little that we can do for them could bring such a heart-warming smile to their faces.

-Cherie 

No comments:

Post a Comment