- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): 15/9/2012 - Orientation Visit 2

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

15/9/2012 - Orientation Visit 2

Sup folks,

Met up with everyone at about 1030 or so at Block 62 that morning, lotsa new faces again! Had four new volunteers in our group, namely Woon Yong (he came for the previous visit too), Jasmine, Michelle and Yun Yin (plus seniors Zhenxiu and Chaur Ann). Moped around a bit while waiting for everything to be sorted out. After a while Chaur Ann came back telling us we were gonna visit Madam Chua...... who was sitting right next to us hahaha. 

So anyway she didn't want to go back up to her apartment, saying it would be pretty warm and stuffy and that she preferred being down at the void deck. Well it's a first for me just hanging out at a void deck with a senior citizen! I don't even hang out at void decks. (not that it's a bad thing)

The new volunteers began chatting with Mdm Chua to get to know more about her, and in the course of the conversation learnt about her having worked in the kitchen of a certain Phoenix Hotel for 20 years, making salads and sandwiches (she pronounces it as sandmiju). I didn't understand most of what was being said, but it seemed to me like pretty much a lively conversation, with her relating all her stories and life experiences. Hahaha but in actuality she'd apparently repeated her sandwich and salad making experience over and over for quite a few times.

Zhenxiu: "10th time liao"

Well Mdm Chua has dementia so she can't really remember what she's told us. Regardless, it seemed like she appreciated us listening to her. Later on, we went over to the kopitiam for some drinks. We managed to find out that she only eats at this kopitiam, as she thinks the other coffee shops are too far away (yes even the one we usually lunch at). Sometimes, a lady who stays above the kopitiam will come down and pay for Mdm Chua's food, which she feels paiseh about, but grateful for. Before we left, she told us how she was heartened by the kindness she's received from people all over the neighbourhood - the social workers at TOUCH, neighbours, and volunteers like us.



While this is not the first time I've met Mdm Chua, I learnt more about her in this visit than in the past couple of times I've been to her flat. I'm happy about it, and I'm happy she enjoys our company. And while I'm sure there's much more to learn about the elderly we visit, there's already so much that these visits prompt me to think about. Today's visit, for instance, leaves me thinking if I appreciate what I have enough. Probably not, and it doesn't seem to matter that much at this moment cause we've got so much going on in our lives. Thankfully I've got these visits to give me a breather and some time to think.

wei jiang

No comments:

Post a Comment