- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): My invaluable first experience with THE seniors

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My invaluable first experience with THE seniors

Hello, my name is CHAUR ANN and the visit on 7th June 2012 marks my first step at volunteerism. Initially  I did sign up for CSC as I am interested in offering a helping hand to those in need. However, I place too much emphasis on studies for the past one year as i tried to get accustomed to the new environment after army. it is not until now that i finally join my friends, Jeremy Tay and Criss Ang, in helping out for the elderly. And well, here I am as I hope i can brighten their days as much as they did for me within that short few hours:)

Of course, I didnt know what I got myself into for my first visit. My group (Wynne, Camy, Jeremy, Yixiu). 
and I went to visit 3 elderly that day -Mdm Cheong, Mr Tan and Mdm Tan. Despite a short interaction with Mdm Cheong-- because i had to leave for another activity and she is the only elderly I had interaction with-- I find that it is quite meaningful. Mdm Cheong is quite friendly and nice to us, and we all feel cheerful even though we are helping with her chores like mopping and cleaning the windows. Through this short visit, i find out that there are still many elderly in Singapore who are still very much in need of help. Unlike us having living in 3 or 4 room flats, they only had a small unit of their own, a place they can barely walk around, which they call home. Because of their considerable age, they may face difficulties doing things we deemed easy, and i feel that it is only right that we try to do what we can to help them out. 


This may be my first experience participating in such activities, but im pretty sure that it is not my last. I hope that i can get to see more elderly and help them out to the best of my ability. I wish to be close to them, understand their thinking, and be friends if thats even possible. I hope there will be more surprises awaiting for me to discover as i continue this fruitful and meaningful journey


To infinity and beyond, 
CHAUR ANN signing off =D 



No comments:

Post a Comment