- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): 7 July Visit

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

7 July Visit

Today my group was assigned to visit Mr. Tay and Mdm Chua.
Starting off with Mr. Tay, this is the first time I am visiting him, and one important thing to note is that he has lost his sight. We entered his house and I noticed there were quite a number of big vases all around. His house was generally clean, thus there wasn’t any cleaning for us to do, and all he requested for was to go down and have a cup of coffee. I find it really amazing that for someone who is sightless, he can maneuver around the house without breaking any of the vases.
Off we go to the coffeeshop, and guess what, he has a habit of drinking coffee with 3 slices of butter added in it. So why coffee + butter? Well, we found out from him that this will help clear the intestines. We also noticed he has a cut on his left hand, and while Criss (our medic) wants to help tend to his wound, he refuses to let us do so.
As we accompany him at the coffeeshop, conversing with him, I think we all noticed that often he looks to be very sad, lowering his head in silence sometimes.
Overall my impression of Mr. Tay is that he is a very friendly and sincere person.

As for Mdm Chua, no cleaning was needed also, and so we just spent our time chatting with her, listening to her talking about her past, how she have changed, and how much she appreciate TOUCH center for taking care of the elderly. It is nice to see that she is looking much happier today.

(Something extra) After being a part of T.H.E.S. for nearly a year, I find it really interesting to see the various lives of the elderly. Sometimes seeing the problems the elderly faced, it gave me a clearer reality of I will and may be facing many years down the road, and so I think it gave rise to a purpose of how I am able to contribute to helping them whenever I have the time. Also, I am glad to know that a simple conversation is enough to make their days brighter, and so it is for me.

Soon after a few visit I decided to try being a part of T.H.E.S. committee, as I never really take part in any organizing role before, so I thought it will be a fresh experience. Truthfully I don’t think I have contribute much, but it was fun to be part of the committee, attending meeting, and seeing how much work everyone put in just to ensure all the activities work out, more importantly, having both the elderly and volunteers will leave with a smile after every outings/celebrations. Personally I enjoy the most when making volunteers’ gifts, haha, as doing all the handicrafts is really enjoyable.
Overall I think I have benefits from being a part of the committee, especially being able to learn from Yi An and Wynne on how they plan and execute all the meetings.

For the past 10-11 months, though I may not be there most of the time, but whenever I have the time to be there for the visits, it has always been a rewarding one :)

Sorry for the chunk of text, haha, see everyone again at the next visit!

Eng Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment