- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): xmas celebration 261209

Thursday, December 31, 2009

xmas celebration 261209

Hello!

This is Sock Mui, a newbie.. I was arrowed by someone (whom I don’t know) to blog about my experience at the X’mas celebration today.

Heex. Overall, it was fun playing and talking to the elderlies there.. Haha, although some of the times we are one chicken and one duck communicating!

The day started as we gathered in the Activity Centre. Being a first-dayer and a CSC-dayer crasher I do not know anything. Well, so I just followed orders and went to fetch the elderlies down. However, it turns out that the elderly was not in. So we went down again to the centre. Haha, back at the centre it then seems that most people that went up to fetch had came down ‘empty-handed’ just like us.

Anyway, in the end, we newbies decide to sit in the room to wait instead. After some times, elderlies started to emerge and the celebration started as we sit in a circle for some games.

The first game was bingo, followed by wrapping present, then passing newspaper and lastly the dressing up. Since I was blur blur on what I should do, I decide to just ‘play along’. Haha, and it seems that the elderlies mostly know about the game. It was my first time doing volunteery work with the elderlies and it was rather meaningful . The elderlies were all (most of them) very cheerful and were smiling most of the time as we played the game. As I had never played the games before, I personally feel that the games were good as they were fun and pretty interactive between the volunteers and the elderlies.

The elderly that I sit closest to was Kam Por. She was very cheerful and was always smiling. It is really a contrast of the stereotypic image of what we would usually thought of elderlies living alone.. Anyway, it was really funny now that I recalled how I communicated with her – she is a Cantonese and I’m a Hokkien – we don’t understand each other! Haha, luckily, Wen Hao, ironically, a Hokkien that only speak (broken) Cantonese was between us. Most of the games’ rules were explained by him.

By the end of the games, we cut up the log cake to share among the elderlies. While eating I talked to an auntie (the one that always bicker with Kam Por). The party ended after that.

Overall, I felt that I had spent a great day talking to elderlies. Ha.. I hope the elderlies enjoyed themselves as I enjoyed the day! =)

P.S. It would be better if there are briefing for the newbie volunteers beforehand.. Still, many thumbs-up for the planning.. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment