- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): A Visit to Be Remembered By Me Always!

Monday, October 29, 2007

A Visit to Be Remembered By Me Always!

This is the first time I am blogging in TOUCH blog yeh. Hee... It is a long time since I contribute to TOUCH summary! This visit is a special one for me because two of my cousins followed me to the visit. They are Debra and Esther, 12 years old and 14 years old respectively. They have asked me some questions about my volunteering experiences and they are quite interested in joining me in all the different visits. So I think I will try to bring them around as much as I can. It is good for them to see another side of our Singapore society.

Me and my cousins joined the Chinese/English speaking group. I knew we would be visiting Mdm Ong and I think Mdm Ong is the perfect person for my cousins to visit. I have always admired the cheerful way that Mdm Ong has towards life. I hope my cousins can see how difficult life can be for some people and yet they can live happily.

Today Mdm Ong got a lot of groceries to buy. We got two shopping groups. One was led by Janicia and armed by Margret and Debra. Another group was being led by... none other then Mdm Ong herself and accompanied by Khoon Hong, Esther and me. We are all quite surprised when she said that she want to go and do the shopping herself. She seems to be very strong today and so we didn't object. She taught us how to open her mini oxygen tank and we pushed her in a wheelchair with the tank.

Mdm Ong is super strong today lor! She can get out of the wheelchair without any of our support to choose the stuff she wanted to buy. She can make do without our help and oxygen support for a full 15 to 20mins! I think today we really witnessed a great improvement to her health.

To see Mdm Ong like this really make me feel that what little that we can do for the elderly is really worthwhile. The groceries that we have helped her to do has really helped her relieve her household chore pressure. And whenever we leave her house, I can feel her gratefulness for our help. She will always salute us when we are leaving. And she is quite mischieveous also! She will try to make fun of us whenever we are caught unaware.

Everytime when I come to visit, I will feel so energetic. A whole week of frustration at work or lesson seem so insignificant when I come for visit. How much is my frustration worth when compared to the difficulties that the elderly faced each day. So I will always strive to make the elderly smile and forgo their own frustration momentarily. I hope a moment's laughter can be remembered later when things are not good for them and bring a bit of happiness for them.

Hope you all are not bored by my long blog! :P

TOUCH Woosh!!!!
Li Xian

No comments:

Post a Comment