- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here)

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Last Saturday, Janice Jeremy and I visited Madam Ho. It was my first time volunteering with T.H.E Seniors and I was armed with expectations that we may have to help the elderly with their chores and talk to them. I was actually more apprehensive about the latter-that there will be a communication barrier as I cannot speak any of the Chinese dialect (although I can count 1 to 10 in Canto :D).

Fortunately Mdm Ho was a bit of a polyglot (we were told she could speak Eng Mandarin Canto, although predominantly Hokkien). As she had some difficulty with her mobility, we helped her with some simple household chores like the sweeping and mopping of her apartment, and the cleaning of her bathroom floor. There were some initial hiccups- we accidentally used the “dry mop” as the “wet mop”. On hindsight, we realize that it might have been better if we had checked with her beforehand. But it's okay, an honest mistake. We know now ^^

Mdm Ho also shared with us stories about her grandchildren and also the sharp pain she have been having behind her ear. I only realized the details of conversation after the visit when Janice translated it for me- but I was really struck by the expressions on her face during the chat. The grimace on her face when she was describing the intermittent pain she felt, and how the medications were not doing much for it. But also the smile on her face when she was sharing her stories…asking after the other volunteers who had visited in the past, gossiping hehe.

All in all, I think this was quite a great first visit for me. I have so much to learn especially when it comes to understanding each of the elderly better. And I also look forward to future visits, can brush up on my dialect eh heh. 

Oh and happy new 2014! ^^
-Jacy

No comments:

Post a Comment