- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): Everyday is Worth Celebrating!

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Everyday is Worth Celebrating!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, my group only consisted of me today! Despite being alone, I had loads of fun during today's visitation! I visited Mdm Tan and helped her with sweeping, mopping and cleaning of windows/tables, although her place is generally clean.

I was surprised that I was able to generate conversations for the entire two hours!!, as mentioned during debrief. One of the reason is perhaps I could speak Hokkien and Mdm Tan could understand what I was saying. I really had a great time talking and chatting with her! We've talked about many things, such as the trend of going with the masses; as personified in the recent Hello Kitty craze... to her grandson's enlistment where I also shared with her my army experiences too:)

In the midst of the conversation, Mdm Tan mentioned that more often than not, charitable organizations will give the elderly canned food and staples regularly, but not so much necessities like soap and toothpaste. I have personally witness this as some elderly have too much food and stock them up in their cupboards. She also mentioned that sometimes she will have to go to the store to purchase such necessities if they are not being distributed. This made me rethink the gifts that we should give elderly. (maybe we can consider giving necessities like washing powder and toothpaste next time instead of canned food?)

Anyway, the takeaway for me today is that everyday is worth celebrating! Mdm Tan mentioned that "life is short, don't complain too much, live life contented and be happy". I believe this is indeed true as we often look at the unhappy things in life, and not be contented with what makes us happy. So hope that all fellow volunteers out there and our elderly will celebrate each day and be glad in it:)



Kok Seng

No comments:

Post a Comment