- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): There're two malnourished 'snakes' in the house!

Saturday, February 09, 2013

There're two malnourished 'snakes' in the house!

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


I was just thinking about my very first T.H.E. (orientation) visit on 2nd September 2012. Being a freshie, I was particularly unsettled and unprepared back then; inevitably, I also felt quite lost and out-of-place in Mdm Ho's house. I didn't know where I could stand; I had no idea which cloth to use to wipe her drawer and photoframes, and I forgot the initial placings of the photoframes thereafter; I couldn't catch most of what Mdm Ho was saying because I grew up in a family where Hokkien is seen as "vulgar" and shouldn't be used. I could still remember someone telling Mdm Ho not to be so fierce towards me, if not "she won't come to visit you again next time." And I also remember giving a weak, slightly-awkward smile in response to that, because I really didn't know how and what to say! But, somehow, something about that visit made me want to stay on. Perhaps, it was because I thought that it's better to do something meaningful than to simply sleep my Saturdays' mornings away. Perhaps, it was because I really wanted to improve my Hokkien so that I could converse with my Ah Ma better when I finally see her. Perhaps, it was because I met some inspirational seniors such as Zhenziu who have so much passion, love and drive in them. Perhaps, it was because I felt so friendless in FASS that I really wanted to make more friends in my CCA... Whatever the real reason was, I had no idea. I still don't. But it's okay, I don't need an answer for everything; sometimes, unanswered questions make life more exciting, mysterious, and enjoyable.

So fast forward five months since my very first visit... I finally went back to Mdm Ho's house with Yi'an and Xiao Jun on 2nd Feb '13. As with my first visit, we helped out with some household chores. All along, Mdm Ho sat on a wooden stool nearby and supervised our actions. "Wipe that little corner on that window properly," she would say to Xiao Jun and I in Hokkien. "Use the soap to scrub the toilet bowl," she instructed our dear Miss VM, who would diligently (and furiously) scrub the toilet bowl till it sparkled with love. Mdm Ho's instructions were frank and succinct, but never demanding. Occasionally, she would ask if we were hungry and whether we wanted to share her food with her. She would also offer us some drinks which we politely but stubbornly declined. These little acts of kindness and concern, and of sharing whatever little things that she has, have never failed to touch me. 

Shortly after that, Criss and Swee Fen (Fang 姐!) came to visit Mdm Ho too. Coincidentally, Yi'an, Xiao Jun and I were done with the housework, and thus all of us proceeded to make CNY decorations. Mdm Ho sat there on her usual cushioned chair, looking very curious and amused at the same time. Perhaps she was thinking, "What are these 'gin na' doing? Is that really a snake?! What are they doing with all that angpows? Does my house still have space to hang these decorations?" 

Xiao Jun and I hard at work :P
Every now and then Mdm Ho would ask us what we were doing, and then she would gleefully laugh as she saw how clumsy we were with the papers, angpows, scissors, staplers and even double-sided tape. It felt stressful to have her watchful eyes on us throughout the whole process, yet we had loads of fun too. We would randomly hold up pieces of our unfinished masterpieces and ask her if they were nice. Mdm Ho would then chuckle or nod her head; she must be thinking, "Ahh these 'gin na' have nothing better to do is it? Why are they so funny and cute!" Hehehe I think she's cuter :P


Miss VM and her Ah Seng would like to wish everyone a happy Chinese New Year :)

So... despite the initial hiccups, we managed to make a huge angpow lantern (in the form of the number 8), a smaller flower lantern (using the octagons that Fang 姐 was holding) and two paper snakes decorations for Mdm Ho. Mdm Ho laughed when she saw how skinny and malnourished our 'snakes' were. She then gamely posed with one of the 'snakes' around her neck; isn't this new 'necklace' of hers super interesting and creative? :) Also, we decided to give all our remaining red packets to her as she found them cute and might wanna give them out during CNY. She looked very happy as she slowly put them away safely; at that moment I felt very happy and thankful for being given a chance to experience all that.



CNY is supposed to be a period of joy, wishes and reunions. It may mean lots of angpows, yummy food (ahhh pineapple tarts and bak kwa) and dreaded conversations with some naggy relatives for us, but what does it mean to the elderly? What are they wishing for? Perhaps, what they really want is a visit or call from their family members, or simply more love from those around them. If there's anything else that we could do for them, it would be to give them our heartfelt gratitude and blessings. May the elderly possess happiness, strength, and good health in the upcoming Lunar New Year, and in the many years that are to follow.

Lastly, I really hope that our elderly would continue to have many visitors and volunteers dropping by their houses - especially during the festive CNY holiday season - so that they wouldn't be so lonely. The same applies to all the other elderly, not just those at Kallang Bahru, but also just about everywhere. It's always very difficult and saddening to say, "Auntie/ Uncle, we have to leave now" to the many T.H.E. elderly who live alone. (In particular, I personally feel for Mr Tay badly. He's like the grandfather that I've never had or seen; caring, generous, cute, but pessimistic and vulnerable altogether.) Like many of you, I often wish that I could stay on to chat with them even longer, but there're always things to do, deadlines to meet, and other parts of life that we have to constantly juggle. Maybe this quote would make things better - "Every goodbye makes the next hello closer." *hugs* 

Good job everyone, we've all grown and come so far together. Thanks, too, for having read, admired and loved my yet-another long post (hahaha self-praise again). Rest well, sleep tight, and have an awesome CNY eve too :))


Lots of love, Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment