- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): A day filled with HAPPINESS :)

Saturday, October 06, 2012

A day filled with HAPPINESS :)

Hello people,

Are you missing all the seniors you visit last week? Let me share with you the stories and reflections for the visit today.

Today, we visited Mdm Cheong and Mdm Ho.

Writing her name 
with reference :)
Firstly, we visited Mdm Cheong. She is free today for our visit as she is down with a flu. As usual we did the normal household chores  like cleaning the windows, toilet, and mopping of floor. As she was sick and feeling hot (warm afternoon), she sat in front of 2 fans throughout the visit.

After doing all the instructed (you know what i mean if you have been there) chores, we sat down to chat with her. Some topics throughout the visit were the mid-Autumn festival celebration she attended last week, how she record events on calendar, her medication given etc. Yi An has engage her in a small activity of writing her name, as all elderly kept on saying they are uneducated, it is actually a challenge for them. Have you ever seen before people writing "_"? yup, mdm cheong wrote her name with underscores, so ingenious right?
Well Done!! Feel so proud!
We have a great time interacting with Mdm Cheong especially when we joke around. There are too many too share it right here, so do look forward to visit her on you next visit!! Okay, I will share 2 of the highlights for the visit.

Joke 1:
Mdm Cheong said: 别人睡觉,我天天都没有睡觉。
Literally, what we understood was Mdm Cheong, unlike others, does not sleep. The first reaction was "HUH??". When we ask her why didn't she sleep, she laughed and replied that it was not my habit. After that we realized that she meant that she does not take afternoon nap like others who sleeps after lunch. "Ohhh...." She explain that resting is sufficient for her and she does not need any nap. Visit her to find out how she take a rest :)


Want to know how I usually rest?
Joke 2:
Q:  Why are you so good in cleaning the floor? Did you like do it frequently? Do you help your parent?
A: Because I am majoring in mopping in the university!
We love to chat!











Next up, is our No. 50 senior Mdm Ho. Why No. 50? (It is for me to know and for you to find out!)

When we visited her, she was taking a nap. She immediately woke up to welcome us.
Chun Hai immediately initiated to sweep and clean the floor. His enthusiasm is admirable. However, today he fall into Mdm Ho's trap! Mdm Ho laughed and smile at him to ask him to stop. Why? 

Because prior to the visit, I went to Mdm Ho's house to facilitate and help her out. Before I left to meet up with the others she told me this: "Don't inform the others! Lets test their reaction." A little joke to bright up our boring day, why not? Deal!

As usual, we sat down to speak to her about everything that she has experience before. As I interact with her this time, it felt so different. The layer of wall between us on the first visit has vanished. She love to share many stories, and we like to joke with her. She really has the sense of humour!
Mdm Ho's Drink!




She is always very hospitable and offer us with her drinks! Thank you!




That is all for today. It is time for REFLECTION!


Q1: Why did I join T.H.E. Seniors?

What we have today was built by people from the past. Who are they? The seniors of course. As we move on towards goals of our lives, we should not abandon and forget about those who had work for our present. They helped us to shape our current society. That is one of the motivations that drives me to go. Our simple presents bring lots of happiness to them. Although we cannot take away their pain from their deteriorating body, neither we can change their past, we still can help them with things we could at the present!

Q2: Why are we there?

The answer varies between people. Do you treat it as a job? Do you treat it as an event to attend?

My answer is none of the above. I am there as it is part of me. I am not there because I must be there. I am not there because it is my duty. I simply like to be there every Saturday if I am able. I really enjoy the smiles of elderly and the moment they share with me. I always believe that they can feel your heart if you really put it in in the first place. Your presence is not important, but your heart is. Many senior always mention many other volunteers that are no longer visiting them, due to the hectic working life after graduate. I can feel it when they start to recognize me after just a few visit!

Alright, that is what I have learned from today's visit! Hope to see others next week!

Woon Yong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment