- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): My first experience with T.H.E

Monday, December 19, 2011

My first experience with T.H.E

Last Saturday was a special day for me because it marks my first volunteering experience with T.H.E.! I was assigned to be in the same group as Yinmin, Criss, Pheng Heong and Jeremy that morning. :D

We started off our day by visiting Mdm Cheong. Upon arriving, I noticed the cute lady in the house walking towards us. But the rest laughed and joked about Mdm Cheong being a “Commando”. I was taken aback by Mdm Cheong’s superb memory as she could easily recall who she had seen before and pointed out that I am the newcomer! HAHA. As usual, Mdm Cheong delegated task for each of us. After completing our “missions”, we settled now and had a good chat with Mdm Cheong. I was touched and amazed by Mdm Cheong’s positivity towards life as she talks about how she actively tries to stay healthy by exercising frequently and how she tries to活到老,学到老. I was surprised that Mdm Cheong actually knows so many languages! That morning she demonstrated Chinese, English, Teo chew, Hokkien and even Malay! I’m ashamed that I’m struggling with Hokkien even though it’s my dialect. Goshh. :X

After which, we visited Mdm Tan. She is a petite elderly who greeted us with her lovely smile. We helped Mdm Tan cleaned her house and checked her mails that morning. During our conversation with Mdm Tan, she told us that she plans to stop accepting meals provided by the Buddhist Society as she heard from her friends that the CC may be catering daily meals for the elderly. Moreover, the volunteers from the Buddhist society have been interviewing her frequently, asking her about how many children she has and how much money they give her monthly. Mdm Tan was worried that this may implicate her children. As such, she is hoping that the CC would be catering food for the elderly so that she can stop accepting meals provided by the Buddhist Society. We might want to take note of this matter during our next visit to Mdm Tan’s house. Also, Mdm Tan was telling us that she enjoys the food provided during the occasional buffets organized by the CC. However, she has stopped attending such activities due to her failing eyesight. She can’t exactly see what food she was taking and was afraid of asking the other elderly for fear of troubling them. This broke my heart upon hearing that. I am really amazed by Mdm Tan’s courage towards life. Regardless of the difficulties she is facing, Mdm Tan is always bearing a smile on her face.

Lastly, we visited Mdm Chow Moi’s house. Mdm Chow Moi greeted us with her wide smile. We didn’t have time to clean up Mdm Chow Moi’s house today due to the shortage of time. During our conversation with her, she noted Pheng Heong as the giggling boy. HAHA. As Pheng Heong and Mdm Chow Moi tease each other, we noticed that Mdm Chow Moi has been coughing quite badly. We asked her if she has sought a doctor but she said it would be a waste of money. As such, she is only taking 枇杷膏to relieve her cough.

I had an enjoyable and enlightening experience interacting with the elderly at T.H.E. I have learnt so much from the elderly I visited. I’m surprised by their spontaneity and their strong will towards life. These are lessons that we can’t learn from books and school. My experience with the elderly last Saturday morning certainly motivates me to quickly brush up my Hokkien. There is so much that I would like to learn about them. I am looking forward to the good memories and laughter to come! I am praying hard that it won’t rain tomorrow. I am certain that tomorrow’s major event would be filled with love and fun! :D Aja Aja Fighting! ^^

lots of love,
Carline :)

No comments:

Post a Comment